The 54th Annual Radix Cup Matches, conducted by the Chicago District Golf Association (CDGA) and the Illinois PGA, is scheduled to take place Wednesday, June 3rd at Oak Park Country Club in River Grove, Ill. The six matches will begin at 12:30 p.m. off the first tee and is free and open to the public to attend. The Illinois PGA Professionals look to defend their title from last year and capture the Radix Cup in three consecutive years for the first time since doing so in 1996-1998.
The amateur team includes three newcomers – Jordan Fahel (21), Raymond Knoll (19) and Jack Watson (23). Nine of the 12 amateur team members have three or less years of experience competing in the annual Radix Cup. The past two Illinois State Amateur Champions, Knoll and Tee-K Kelly, 20 of Wheaton, Ill., will play at 1:00 p.m. and 1:20 p.m., respectively.
Jim Billiter, 29, PGA assistant golf professional at the Merit Club in Libertyville, Ill., will be making his first Radix Cup appearance. Billiter recently captured his first Illinois PGA major championship winning the 64th Illinois PGA Match Play title. Billiter will be paired with fellow Radix Cup rookie Adam Schumacher, 24, PGA assistant golf professional at Indian Hill Club.
The six two-player teams of amateurs will compete at match play against six two-player teams of professionals. Each match will be determined on a three-point Nassau basis. Teams score their better ball on each hole, with the low ball of each foursome winning the hole. Total points from the six matches determine the winning team.
The Illinois PGA Professionals defeated the CDGA amateurs 11 – 7 in the 53rd Radix Cup Matches held at Oak Park C.C., winning in back-to-back years for the first time since 2003-2004. The Professionals hold a commanding overall record in the event with 34 wins, 17 losses and two ties. Since 1999, the Matches have been very competitive with the CDGA holding a 9-7 advantage over the Professionals, winning in 1999-2000, 2005-06, 2008-09 and 2011-12.
Coming into the Matches, the Illinois PGA Professionals have a significant edge in regards to Radix Cup experience (61-40). Dave Ryan, 61, of Taylorville, Ill., makes up 30 percent (12) of the CDGA’s total appearances. The CDGA and Illinois PGA select the participants from the final 2014 player of the year point standings.
In 1962, Harry E. Radix started the match play event to promote competition between professionals and amateurs in Illinois. Mr. Radix, former president of the CDGA, former member of the National PGA advisory committee, and captain of five U.S. Olympic figure skating teams, died in 1965 and left a bequest to continue the competition. The event and trophy are named in his honor.
Illinois PGA Professionals
- Jim Billiter, 29, PGA Assistant Golf Professional, The Merit Club
- Frank Bruno, 48, PGA Head Golf Professional, Oak Park C.C.
- Garrett Chaussard, 31, PGA Head Golf Professional, Chicago Highlands
- Connie DeMattia, 47, PGA Director of Instruction, Cantigny Golf
- Rich Dukelow, 46, PGA Teaching Golf Professional, Medinah C.C.
- Frank Hohenadel, 31, PGA Assistant Golf Professional, Westmoreland C.C.
- Travis Johns, 37, PGA Director of Instruction, Medinah C.C.
- Curtis Malm, 37, PGA Head Golf Professional, White Eagle G.C.
- Steve Orrick, 38, PGA Head Golf Professional, C.C. of Decatur
- David Paeglow, 48, PGA Head Golf Professional, Kishwaukee C.C.
- Adam Schumacher, 24, PGA Assistant Golf Professional, Indian Hill Club
- Matt Slowinski, 37, PGA Head Golf Professional, Conway Farms G.C.
- Jordan Fahel, 21, Peoria, Mt. Hawley C.C.
- Blake Johnson, 46, Winnetka, Glen View Club
- Tee-K Kelly, 20, Wheaton, Medinah C.C.
- Raymond Knoll, 19, Naperville, Cress Creek C.C.
- Derek Meinhart, 37, Mattoon, Mattoon Golf & C.C.
- Kyle Nathan, 31, Glenview, Exmoor C.C.
- Glenn Przybylski, 48, Frankfort, Sanctuary G.C.
- Dave Ryan, 61, Taylorville, Illini C.C.
- Chadd Slutzky, 38, Deer Park, Royal C.C.
- Justin Smith, 36, River Forest, Oak Park C.C.
- Dan Stringfellow, 23, Roselle, Medinah C.C.
- Jack Watson, 23, Lincolnshire, Conway Farms G.C.